Tuesday, March 20, 2018

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

The Usual Suspects (1995) is a movie where the people who watched it, enjoyed it much more than the critics who rated it.  It's a whodunit that eventually reveals itself to be something different.  But the key line from this movie is "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Now putting the movie itself aside, this quote totally reminds me of C.S. Lewis and a book he wrote titled The Screwtape Letters.  This book is a series of letters sent from an "Uncle devil" to his nephew and gives him tips on how to lure people away from God.  At one point he said something very similar to his nephew, "Our policy, for the moment, is to conceal ourselves."  And he talks about the difference between now and other times lamenting the difference.

So what about me?  Do I believe there is "the devil" out there?  Do I believe in a force that opposes God and works against him?  Do I believe in demons and spirits that can infest a person, possess, or oppress them?  In short, yes I do.

Do I think that the devil is a red fleshed character with a tail and horns that laughs at and screws with people from a fiery hole somewhere?  Not really.  But I have experienced his workings in people as I have prayed for them.  I have felt his oppression in my own life.  I have experienced troubles and pains during times when God is working well in the area around me.  I have been distracted and caught up in meaningless squabbles during times when my focus needed to be with God.  I have prayed for others to be released from possession and oppression in the name of Jesus Christ and watched as they were freed.  I, myself, have been prayed for to receive protection from God.

So what do I do about it?  I trust in the Lord that His power is more magnificent and powerful and eternal than those who oppose Him.  I trust the Bible when it says that despite the current "battle" and where it is headed, God has already won the war.  I know that if I need protection I have brothers and sisters in Christ that can and do pray for me.  But I do not ignore the presence of those things that can pull me away from God.
'Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so God can heal you. When a believing person prays, great things happen. '  (James 5:16 NCV)
 'I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength.'  (Philippians 4:13 NCV)
'“I told you these things so that you can have peace in me. In this world you will have trouble, but be brave! I have defeated the world.”'  (John 16:33 NCV)


So, what about you?  What do you believe and why is that?  I have shared my experience but I would love to hear yours!  For or against, I believe we all have something to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment