Thursday, February 8, 2018

"Show me the money!"

"SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!" -- Jerry Maguire
How many people remember this movie?  The above picture is from a phone conversation he had between himself and Rod Tidwell.  (Click the link above to see the movie clip)  Here he is asking Rod to stay his client, where eventually Rod asks him to say "Show me the money" and has him repeat it until he is shouting it in his office--with co-workers watching his bizarre antics.  What I have asked myself is how much money would it take to get me to do something like that?  First, answer the question for yourself...

For me, I think that the lower limit would be about $20.  What was yours?  Jerry was facing losing part of his income if Rod left his firm and went to someone else for contracts and public representation.  I'm not surprised he did all of that--though it is quite a humorous scene. 😁

Putting aside Jerry and all of his issues, I then asked myself, "What does God think of all of this money stuff we have in our lives?"  I mean that I just filed my taxes and needed all of the required paperwork in order to do that.  Recently, my wife and I opened savings account for our kids and that took a looooooong time.  Every month we go over our budget and make sure that we didn't overspend it.  Two summers ago we bought our first house.  And all of these things are part of how we spend the money that we've earned--and to avoid going into debt.

Years ago, my wife and I decided to get together and learn how to handle debt and money according to how God would want us to do that.  I know that I had wracked up almost $7k on a credit card, and wanted to be out of that way of acting.  My wife wanted us to be on the same page for what we spent and creating a budget.  We found an amazing program called "Financial Peace University" that was hosted by Dave Ramsey.  Before a couple years had passed we had eliminated all of our debt except student loans and were starting to build a legacy.
“We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.”  ― Dave Ramsey
This quote reminds me of the Bible verse Psalms 22:7 "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender."  People we love don't really care about the things we own.  If I have a solid roof over my head, food to eat, and some money to tithe then I have enough.  But far too often we get to a place where we worry about having the "next" or the "better" thing.  *Cough!* iPhones?
“Act your wage.” ― Dave Ramsey 
What does this mean?  Have I been trained to buy more than I have money for, to go the extra mile (with debt), and compete with my neighbors?  Yes.  People working for financial solution businesses out there are trying to make money.  This brings to mind the idea of "contentment" with where I am and what I have.  1 Timothy 6:6 says, "But godliness with contentment is great gain." and the following verses talk about how those who aren't content and allow money drive their wagon and fall into ruin and death.  Being content means knowing what I can and what I can not spend my money on, and what I need to have in place in order to spend anything--and be perfectly okay with that.
“Pray like it all depends on God, but work like it all depends on you.” ― Dave Ramsey
What makes this plan work for me is understanding two things: 1) Everything I have comes from God, and He gives me the strength and ability to do them 2) I have to go and do my best because participation in the relationship is key.  I don't just want to get by, I want to leave something for my grandkids to enjoy!  Proverbs 12:22 says, "A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children, but a sinner’s wealth is stored up for the righteous."
“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved. HELEN KELLER” ― Quoted by Dave Ramsey 
This last quote contains important information for me personally: money management is part of my character, and that "character things" are often difficult and filled with issues. I have yet to encounter something that caused me to grow that didn't involve trouble.  Either I take a view that is not "normal" or there is some other obstacle in my way.  But!  Continuing to pursue God's way always has paid out dividends in the end, though there are often times when I cannot see the way.


All of the above quotes and information on handling money come from Financial Peace University and the website www.daveramsey.com



No comments:

Post a Comment